Wednesday, January 2, 2013

#90- I am thankful for common courtesy.

I am thankful for common courtesy.

I am thankful every single time a complete stranger holds a door for me, gives up their seat on the train for me, says please and thank you and offers assistance if it looks like I might need it.  It often feels like kindness and politeness are contagious. After witnessing someone being kind, I want to follow suit and be kinder to others as well.  I want to give up my seat on the train for someone who looks like they need it more than I do, I want to hold the door for the person behind me, I want to help someone with their belongings up and down the stairs, I want to be a better person.

There are times when I think that the concept of common courtesy, manners and being polite are not a priority in our society.  Working in retail and in a major theme park for several years, I could count on 2 hands the number of children who were polite without their adults urging.  I don't understand this since I remember being taught to say please and thank you and may I have from a very early age.  Even adults seem to have forgotten these common phrases.

Please be kind to others. Please be polite to others. Let those concepts be contagious. Thank you for reading :)




No comments:

Post a Comment