Thursday, November 8, 2012

#83- I am thankful for the man on the L Tuesday night.

Living in a city means that I take a lot of public transportation. Buses and trains are a daily part of my life. More often then not, this involves seeing and smelling things that are unpleasant, getting pushed and shoved without an "excuse me" and being a part of the "rat race."

Every once in a while I have an experience on the train or bus that makes me feel better about humanity.  Sometimes that means that someone offered up their seat to someone in need, someone helping someone else with their belongings, or seeing someone say "thank you" to the driver or operator.

Tuesday night was a stressful night. Anxiety was practically seeping out of my pores. Election night seems to bring the best and the worst out in people. I left work and made my way to the train.  While waiting for a train there was an older gentleman singing beautifully. He wasn't a street performer or asking for money. He was just another commuter who was singing. He was singing Nat King Cole's "Smile." While a heartbreaking song, it was an amazing experience.  The sound of his voice was melodic and warm and brought a sense of peace.  It was as if his voice had the power to ease all of my stress and anxiousness.

When the train approached I made sure to get on the same train-car that he got on.  I ended up sitting relatively close to him and he continued to sing. Instead of ignoring this man's singing, it was as if the other passengers were hypnotized by this beautiful music. Everyone was paying attention and you could feel the stress just melt off of everyone. It was a wonderful experience.

At the end of one of his songs I had to tell him how much I appreciated his singing. I lightly touched his arm and told him that his voice was beautiful.  He said, "Thank you. Singing makes me feel good." I told him that it made others feel good too. He continued singing and I was almost sad that I had to get off the train. I wanted to ride with him for longer.

I am thankful for this man with the beautiful voice and for his amazing talent. I am thankful for how he made me and the others around him feel.


1 comment:

  1. That really is truly beautiful. Thank you for telling him that you appreciated his voice so he will continue to sing

    ReplyDelete