Monday, August 13, 2012

Thankful #40: I am thankful for unconditional love.

I am thankful for my friends and family who love me unconditionally. I am nowhere close to being perfect and I am full of flaws, but my family and close friends love me regardless. Their unconditional love has made accepting my flaws and even loving myself that much easier.

It's hard to love someone unconditionally, but it's so important to love and be loved.

To love someone unconditionally, though, does not mean to ignore someone's dangerous habits, feelings and behaviors. Ignoring someone's violence towards others and themselves, substance abuse or any sort of addiction, is not love, it's denial and enabling. But loving someone and accepting their flaws and loving them regardless of those flaws, that is unconditional love.

It's putting disagreements, disappointments and hurt feelings aside and loving anyway. Knowing that you are loved and even if you make a bad decision, do something hurtful, do something you may regret is validating. It validates that you are a wonderful person regardless of your imperfections.

You are loved, just the way you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment