Sunday, September 2, 2012

#58: I am thankful for good listeners.

Sometimes you just need to talk. You don't want or need advice. You have thoughts and feelings you need to express to a confidant without being judged or lectured. You need to be heard.

I am thankful for people who are good listeners. I am thankful for those people who are accepting and caring enough to just be able listen.  Feelings can often become overwhelming if you aren't able to share them with someone you trust and being able to share those feelings in an open way is so healthy.

Becoming a good listener isn't something that is easily done. It can be very difficult to not want to talk about your own experiences, your own problems, your own life. But being a good listener means being able to put your thoughts and your needs to the side for a moment and being present with someone else and their needs.

It's hard to listen, especially when there are other things on your mind. When you are frustrated or annoyed or even tired, it's hard to listen to someone else. But listening is a powerful skill that helps to create healthy, meaningful relationships. If we can't listen to others without interjecting our own thoughts and stories, then we can't actually be a good friend or companion.

Often being listened to, being heard, being understood is more powerful than any advice you could ever receive. I'm not always a good listener, it's something that I have to continuously work on. But I am so very thankful for those who have listened to me when all I need to do was get something off my chest. And for that, I am forever grateful.

Open your ears, open your hearts.




No comments:

Post a Comment