Tuesday, September 11, 2012

#63 I am thankful for teachers.

Teachers are the people who help us become who we are and who we want to be. They not only help mold us into who we are but they also fill our heads with knowledge! They have the patience to deal with not only students but with parents and the administration.

 Teachers work long hours, often in harsh conditions, often doing the job of nurse, librarian, social worker, therapist, cheerleader, mediator in addition to being a teacher. Teachers do NOT get the respect and appreciation they need and deserve.

 Chicago Public School teachers are not just fighting for a pay increase. They are fighting to decrease class size, for air-conditioning since classrooms can reach more than 90 degrees in the hot weather, for school nurses, for school librarians, for music classes. I want the teachers to be respected and treated fairly so that the children in this city get the best education possible.

Growing up I wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to teach children and fill their brains with knowledge and help them learn to be critical thinkers. I also wanted to teach children how to read. I LOVE to read and had it not been for the teacher who taught me to do so, I might not love it the way I do to this very day.

 I don't know why I decided to not become a teacher, perhaps it was because of the bureaucracy that you must deal with? Perhaps it was the limitations and concept of teaching children only half truths about reality and history? I don't really know. But what I do know, is that I am so thankful for the wonderful teachers that have been a part of my life and have helped me grow into the person that I am today.

 I am thankful for teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment