Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 29 and 30: I am thankful for what is and for what isn't.








I know I missed a day. We got home late last night and I didn't have the physical or emotional energy to write anything. But instead, I will write a double dose of thanks.

29: I am thankful for what is.

There is so much that we as humans can't control.  We can only control our words, actions and reactions. And even that is a struggle.  We can't control the weather, we can't control if our favorite baseball team wins or loses, we can't control what happens in the world around us. But we can control how we react to the world around us. We can control how we treat people. We can control how we speak to one another. It's hard to do these things, but we can do it. We choose to be nice to the people we interact with. We choose to tell someone we care about them. We have the ability to choose to see the positive rather than the negative. It's up to us, to make these choices.

30. I am thankful for what isn't.  

Because we can't control so much, it's not fair to ourselves to be upset for what we don't have or what we didn't do.  Life isn't about what we could have done. It's about what we've actually done.  There are choices I have made that, looking back, weren't the best decisions for myself or those around me. But I can't go back and change them. I can just move forward and learn from those mistakes.  I am thankful for those less-than-stellar choices because they brought me here, to where I am right now. No, things aren't perfect,...but my adventure continues.  Without the hurdles I've had to deal with, I might not be able to sit back and just accept things as they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment